Update: Brandon rail death followed “domestic incident”, police reveal
A MAN has been arrested and is today being questioned by police in connection with the death of a woman on a railway line.
A 25-year-old woman, from the local area, was struck by a freight train and killed at a level crossing near Brandon at about 9.30pm yesterday.
Paramedics and police officers from the Suffolk force and British Transport Police (BTP) were alerted after a train driver reported the train had hit a person a short distance from the Santon Downham level crossing.
It has today emerged that about an hour before the rail collision, Suffolk police received a call concerning a domestic incident in the Brandon area.
The force was investigating that matter when the driver reported the collision a short distance from Santon Downham, near the level crossing.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for police said officers from Suffolk Constabulary and British Transport Police were currently working to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
Detectives revealed their desire to speak to a member of the public who may be able to assist in the investigation.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 3 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 4 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 5 Busy high street taped off by police
- 6 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 7 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 10 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
A woman in her late 50s or early 60s with grey/blonde hair boarded the boat at some point that afternoon. She was wearing a lilac jacket and had a purple mountain bike with her at the moorings.
Detective Inspector Andy Footer said: “The boat was tied up at moorings near the Brandon Ram on Monday afternoon. At some point during the afternoon the woman got onto the vessel, spoke to the occupants and took a ride along the river in the boat.
“We need to trace this lady as she may be able to assist our investigation.”
At around 4.30am a 45-year-old man from the Brandon area was arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment. The man, understood to be the partner of the dead woman, is currently in custody at Bury St Edmunds police station where he will be interviewed by police.
Inquiries are ongoing in Santon Downham today.
As there was police involvement in the incident prior to the woman’s death, Suffolk Constabulary has referred it to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) as a matter of course.
The railway lines were handed back to Network Rail at 5.02am.
Police want to speak to anyone who may have seen a woman in distress in the forest around Santon Downham last night prior to 9.30pm.
Calls should be made to West Suffolk CID on 01473 613500.