Update: Elderly woman treated for smoke inhalation after Kirkley flat fire

Firefighters were called to the barn blaze

Firefighters were called to the barn blaze - Credit: Archant

Two people have been taken to hospital following a flat fire in Kirkley Cliff yesterday evening.

Two fire crews were called to the ground floor flat in Kirkley Cliff just after 7pm on February 14.

They found a fire in the bedroom and the rest of the property was heavily smokelogged.

An East of England Ambulance spokesman said two ambulances and a rapid response vehicle were sent to the scene.

He said the elderly woman’s condition was not believed to be serious and that another patient was treated but no further details were available.

Earlier this year some residents in nearby Victoria Terrace, Kirkley were left effectively homeless on New Year’s Day after a fire caused by a candle broke out in a flat. On that occasion, it was the smoke alarm which alerted residents to the danger and allowed them to get out in time.

Landlord Hanif Jaffer found new accommodation for the residents affected in less than 24 hours.