Update: Fire crews back at Martlesham Heath as fire reignites

FIREFIGHTERS are back on the scene of a huge heath fire today as flames reignited.

Four pumps – from Colchester Road and Princes Street in Ipswich, and from Woodbridge – went back to Martlesham Heath at 9.10am today after a 50m by 75m section of undergrowth caught fire again.

Crews used two jets and two hosereels to get the blaze back under control, and are still on the scene damping down to prevent any further bursts.

Another crew also attended nearby Dobbs Lane in Kesgrave at 6.25am today after a 50 square metre area of gorse and undergrowth was reported to have reignited.

This comes after a huge blaze on Martlesham Heath yesterday, which needed 12 pumps – more than 60 firefighters – to get it under control.

You may also want to watch:

The blaze was reported at 2.40pm yesterday and 12 fire engines – three from Colchester Road in Ipswich, three from Princes Street, one from Woodbridge, two from Felixstowe, and one each from Orford, Holbrook and Hadleigh, along with the water bowser from Leiston and turntable ladder from Ipswich – were all called to attend.

Huge plumes of smoke were visible for miles around, with flames shooting high into the air.

Most Read

Police have recorded the blaze as possible arson and investigations are likely to continue once the fire service is confident it has put out all the flames.

The unusually dry conditions and light wind are thought to be making the blaze more difficult to get under control.

Firefighters arrived to find a large area of grass, gorseland and trees well alight, with the flames being fanned by a strong wind.

Crews surrounded the fire and used hose reels, beaters and a water shuttle to get the blaze under control.

Police officers closed nearby Dobbs Lane because of the potential danger to passing traffic and to allow firefighters full access to the scene.

A spokesman for the ambulance service also confirmed they had a unit in attendance to ensure the safety of firefighters.

The fire service said the blaze was under control by 5.30pm, but firefighters stayed on the scene well into the evening damping down and ensuring the fire did not flare up again.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus