Update: Fire in mill at maltings plant is put out
- Credit: Contributed
A BLAZE at a factory in Stowmarket has been extinguished by firefighters.
Crews from Needham Market, Stowmarket, Elsmwell, Ixworth, Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich East were called to reports of a building fire at Muntons PLC in Cedars Maltings, Needham Road, at 3.26pm.
The first crew were in attendance at 3.34pm to discover smoke coming from the fourth floor of the flour processing unit.
Crews used four sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel, one jet and a thermal imaging camera.
Dr Nigel Davies, manufacturing and technical director at Muntons PLC, said the fire in the hammer mill broke out just after 3pm.
You may also want to watch:
He said the whole site was evacuated, adding normally there are about 100 people on site.
He said: “This is an exceptional incident and has only resulted in suspension of normal operations for around two hours. The malting plant continued to operate as normal.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
“The fire is now extinguished but as yet the cause is not known. A total of six appliances attended although only one was operational in controlling the fire. Staff were allowed back into the building at 4.45pm when it was again declared safe after the fire brigade had made a thorough safety inspection of the affected and adjacent areas.”
He added: “Nobody was hurt, no permanent damage and we will just pick up production in the morning.”
Muntons PLC is the largest malted ingredients manufacturer in Europe. It employs more than 280 staff across two sites in Stowmarket and Bridlington in Yorkshire and has been in business for more than 90 years.