Update: Gas tanker overturns near Eye after freezing temperatures cause country roads to become treacherous

Police have been called to a number of accidents after a night of freezing temperatures

Police have been called to a number of accidents after a night of freezing temperatures - Credit: ©Archant Photographic 2010

A gas tanker has overturned in icy conditions on a rural road near Eye.

Police were called to the B1118 at around 8.15am. Firefighters are also in attendance but police said no gas had leaked from the tanker. A force spokeswoman said: “A tanker has overturned on a minor road in Wingfield. The driver has suffered minor injuries and the road is closed while the gas is siphoned to another tanker.

“This is likely to take a couple of hours. Once this has been done the tanker will be taken away.”

The road is now clear and the tanker recovered.

The force spokesman added that police had been called to a number of similar incidents across Suffolk this morning.

A blue Nissan Micra was involved in an accident on Kettleburgh Road, near Framlingham earlier today. Ambulance medics had to check the female driver over following the incident.

Police were called at 8.20am to the A134 near Bury St Edmunds after a blue Renault Scenic was involved in an accident.

Most Read

A man suffered broken ribs and was struggling to breathe, the spokeswoman said. Paramedics treated the man and also assessed a woman. The road was reopened at 10.15am. Police are warning drivers to take care especially on minor roads which may have not been gritted.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was also called to several accidents. At around 8.40am firefighters were sent to Ixworth Road in Thurston after a single-vehicle crash.

The vehicle was on its roof in a field with the female driver trapped. Crews rescued her by cutting a section of the car away before she was taken to West Suffolk Hospital. Police said the injuries were not life-threatening.

At about 10.20am fire crews were called to another single-vehicle crash in Wickhambrook. The vehicle was on its roof with two people trapped.

Fire crews rescued them, one was described as “walking wounded” with the other in a state of shock.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter