Update: Huge heath blaze rages on
MORE than 30 firefighters battled flames from a serious heath fire in east Ipswich.
The blaze off Foxhall Road, opposite the rubbish tip, was reported at 4.40pm yesterday.
A crew from headquarters went to the scene, but the fire was so serious they called for assistance from another five pumps from Ipswich and Woodbridge, as well as a support unit from Woodbridge and a water bowser to bring emergency supplies from Leiston.
The wind fanned the flames making what started as a small fire into a huge blaze with a 200m by 100m area of gorse well alight.
Eyewitnesses reported seeing the smoke from as far away as Orford.
You may also want to watch:
Fire officers confirmed the incident is under control, and only three pumps will remain on the scene to deal with the blaze.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 6 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Former Town loanee joins McCarthy's Cardiff side