Update: Ipswich shed fire ‘exploded into flames’ says ‘shocked’ owner

Neighbours said they heard a "massive explosion" as a shed became engulfed in flames.

Neighbours said they heard a "massive explosion" as a shed became engulfed in flames. - Credit: Archant

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a shed fire which “exploded into flames” today.

Three fire crews doused the flames which had engulfed a shed at a property in Bixley Road, Ipswich at 11am on Friday.

Owner Nigel Todd said the fire crews turned up in five minutes to douse the flames.

“My neighbour said it exploded into flames,” said Mr Todd, who kept methylated spirits and tins of paint in the shed.

“A fireman told me it was probably the electrical heater that started the fire, but the heater is only around three or four years old.

“I’m not sure how it started but it probably had something to do with the spirits and heater. I was shocked when I saw it.”

Firefighters had dealt with the blaze by 11.50am. There were no reports of injuries.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter