Update: Man arrested on suspicion of murder in Ipswich after a man dies and a woman is taken to hospital
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after an incident in Ipswich where a man has died and a woman was taken to hospital.
Police were called at around 2.50am today to reports of a woman being stabbed at a block of flats in Saturn Road at the junction with Europa Way, off Sproughton Road.
Police and the ambulance service attended the scene where a man was discovered with stab wounds. He was taken to Ipswich hospital but was declared deceased.
A woman in her 50s was also found at the scene with stab wounds to her legs. She was also taken to Ipswich Hospital, but has since been released.
A 37-year-old man from Ipswich was arrested at the scene by officers and was taken to the Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning. The man has since been taken to hospital after feeling unwell in custody and remains there under police arrest.
Police officers remain at the property together with senior members of Suffolk Constabulary’s major investigation team.
The front of the property has been sealed off, as well as part of the car park at the rear. The cordon will remain around the block of flats for the foreseeable future, whilst officers continue with their enquiries.
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 3 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon
- 4 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 5 "I love him... I think he’s absolutely brilliant' - Chaplin on Town boss McKenna
- 6 The Secrets of Dunwich: East Anglia's lost capital
- 7 'Ludicrous' - Stanley boss on 'big turning point' in Town loss
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 9 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 10 Suspected drink driver who crashed into bush among five arrested in Newmarket area
One resident, Dafydd Westacott, who lives on the first floor, has told how he was awoken by what he believes was a man groaning in agony on the ground floor while a woman was heard crying on the floor above him.
Mr Westacott said: “It was about 3am. I woke up and heard a groaning sound. At first, I thought it was someone who might be drunk.
“They started saying ‘Call for an ambulance.’ I woke my partner up and they were still calling for an ambulance. My partner thinks she heard a female crying. I opened my door and saw paramedics going upstairs.”
It is understood there were spots of blood leading in a trail down to the ground floor where the man was heard to be crying out.
Mr Westacott, who said mostly couples live in the flats, said he went back into his room and could hear bleeping which he believes must have come from the equipment being used by the paramedics.
He added: “I am shocked to be honest. You don’t expect anything like this to happen on your doorstep.”
Another resident in the same block also said she was shocked by what had happened.
She said: “I think it is absolutely terrible.”
Anyone with information in relation to this incident is asked to contact Suffolk Police on 101.