Update: Man remains in serious but stable condition after Old Foundry Road attack
- Credit: Archant
A MAN is in a serious condition in hospital following an assault in the town centre.
The man, who is understood to be in his 30s and from Suffolk, suffered serious head injuries.
Police and paramedics were called to Old Foundry Road in the early hours of yesterday morning, to reports of an attack.
It is understood the victim was lying in the road when emergency services arrived at 3.25am.
Fighting for life, the man was taken to Ipswich Hospital and then transferred on to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge.
His condition was initially described as “critical”, according to a spokeswoman for Suffolk police.
Speaking last night she said: “His condition is now improving.
- 1 Mystery surrounds container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast
- 2 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 3 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 4 One of north Suffolk's 'most productive' arable farms up for sale
- 5 Three Suffolk beaches named among 'most beautiful' in UK by Sunday Times
- 6 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 7 Protests against soaring fuel prices planned for Monday
- 8 Suffolk museum to host military vehicle display
- 9 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 10 Ex-Town striker Pitman drops down five levels to sign for new club
“He is no longer considered critical and is stable.”
A 36-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault.
He was taken to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre where detectives quizzed him yesterday.
The police spokeswoman added: “The man who was arrested on suspicion of assault has been bailed pending further inquiries.”
The man will have to return to the force’s headquarters on Sunday, May 12.
Police officers investigating the attack are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
If you were in the area and saw or heard anything suspicious call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.