Update: Man rescued after microwave blaze in Ipswich flat
FIREFIGHTERS today told how they rescued a man from a smoke-filled flat after his microwave caught fire.
Fire crews were called to the property in Fonnereau Road in the town at 9.30pm yesterday after reports of smoke being seen coming out of a basement flat.
It is believed the fire may have started while the occupant was using the microwave.
The smoke filtered through to the flats above, but these were quickly ventilated when crews arrived.
Firefighters at the scene said they initially could not locate the owner, but after finding him, he was sent straight to hospital for smoke inhalation. One firefighter said: “We were called to the premises after it was reported there was a flat fire.
You may also want to watch:
“We understood there was one person missing, we committed breathing apparatus, three crews and rescued the person who is now going to hospital.”
A passer-by, Liam Starsmorre, described walking past and seeing smoke coming out of the flat.
- 1 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 2 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 9 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 10 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
He said: “I was waiting for my sister to finish work so just walked down the street and saw the fire engines and then saw smoke coming out of the flat.”
They later found another person, but their condition was not known last night. Police said the fire was a simple mistake and they were not treating it as suspicious.
n Did you see what happened? Were you the man rescued by firefighters? Call The Evening Star news desk on 01473 324788 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org