Update: More than 10 fire crews tackle building blaze in Brandon
- Credit: Archant
A 200m cordon was set up around an outdoor storage building on a north Suffolk industrial estate following a fire which threatened acetylene tanks.
The exclusion zone was set up by firefighters at the site of Oranmore Pre-Cast in Mundford Road, Brandon shortly before 5pm this afternoon because of the danger the two tanks could explode threatening the safety of staff, although they had already evacuated from offices around the building before fire crews had arrived.
Station manager Tim Edwards, who is based at Kings Lynn, said fire crews had largely extinguished the fire, except for one or two smaller blazes within the building, by 7pm, although crews would be maintaining a watching brief throughout the night to monitor the tanks.
He added that thermal imaging cameras were constantly monitoring the temperature of the tanks and he was satisfied there was no imminent danger of explosion.
However, he said there had been an explosion while the crews were fighting the fire which may have been caused by an acetylene tank, adding the 200m cordon was a standard procedure for incidents involving acetylene because it is a flammable gas.
You may also want to watch:
Oranmore specialises in the manufacture of hollowcore floors and precast stairs, and the 5,000 sq ft concrete building, which was damaged internally, stored wood.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 6 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 9 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 10 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband