Update: Oscar Pistorius charged with murder after reports he shot dead girlfriend
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
PARALYMPIC and Olympic star Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murder after allegedly shooting dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp after mistaking her for an intruder.
Her body was discovered at the athlete’s home in the Silver Woods country estate in eastern Pretoria, South African police said.
The 26-year-old is alleged to have shot his 30-year-old model girlfriend in the head and upper body.
He was due at Pretoria Magistrate’s Court this afternoon on a murder charge, but prosecutors said his appearance had been delayed until Friday morning to give forensic officers time to carry out their work.
Pistorius was arrested on Thursday morning following the shooting and taken to hospital for a medical examination.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics were called to his home between 4am and 5am local time.
Police arrived shortly afterwards and a 9mm pistol was recovered from the scene. They have launched a murder investigation.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
“The deceased was shot four times and died on the scene. It is believed that she was the girlfriend of the accused,” said police spokesman Katlego Mogale.
Miss Steenkamp’s body was removed by a hearse at around 8am.
Pistorius and Miss Steenkamp are believed to have been seeing each other since November.
Pistorius – known as the “blade runner” – was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics.
Pistorius races wearing carbon fibre prosthetic blades after he was born without a fibula in both legs.
He reached the 400m semi-finals in the London 2012 Olympics. At the Paralympics he won gold in the T44 400m, setting a Paralympic record.
For years he dominated in his category at successive Paralympic Games.