Update: Police and firefighters called to car park after car explosion in Bungay
- Credit: Archant
People were advised to keep clear of a car park in Bungay after a car fire caused an explosion.
An area around the incident, at the Popson Street car park, was cordoned off while police and firefighters dealt with the incident.
The emergency services were called to the scene at about 11.50am.
An appliance from Harleston, Norfolk was initially sent to the car fire. While they were en route control were advised the fire had spread to a building and sent a second appliance from Beccles.
When appliances arrived they found that cylinders and chemicals were involved.
A further appliance from Lowestoft South was sent. A call requesting a third appliance for additional water supply was received, and an appliance from Halesworth was sent.
The fire was brought under control by about 12.25pm using two breathing apparatus, one jet and one ground monitor.
- 1 McKenna on Hladky and Bakinson futures
- 2 Controversial statue on Stowmarket roundabout gets green light
- 3 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 4 5 of the prettiest villages in Suffolk
- 5 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 6 'Let's turn this into a fortress' - Town season ticket sales hit 16k
- 7 Mike Bacon: A perfect start to hopefully a perfect season
- 8 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 9 Plans for second village school scrapped in favour of bigger site
- 10 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers should be aware of this week
Crews returned to base by 2.35pm.