Update: Police still searching for suspected gunman Peter Reeve after off-duty police officer Ian Dibell is shot dead in Clacton

Police are still searching for a gunman who is believed to have shot dead a serving police officer and injured another man.

Officers were contacted shortly after 3.30pm yesterday following reports of shotgun fire off Redbridge Road, in Clacton-on-Sea. They arrived and found one man dead and another man lying in the street with serious leg injuries.

Essex Police have named the dead man as Pc Ian Dibell, who was off-duty at the time of the shooting.

Police received calls stating a man with a handgun was shooting at another man in the area of Redbridge Road – the suspect was identified as Peter Reeve.

It is understood PC Ian Dibell, 41, an off-duty police officer, intervened and challenged Peter Reeve – Pc Dibell was then fatally shot.

The suspect’s car was found abandoned at the junction of Epping Close and Jubilee Avenue but he has yet to be found.

Chairman of the Police Federation, Paul McKeever, paid tribute to the bravery of Pc Dibell saying: “This is extremely tragic and devastating news. Police Constable Ian Dibell demonstrated remarkable courage and bravery whilst off-duty and has paid the ultimate price.

Most Read

“The thoughts of the entire police service are with his family, friends and colleagues at this very difficult time.”

Police have released a photo of the man they are seeking in connection with the fatal shooting, and are advising not to approach Peter Reeve, who is believed to be armed.

He is described as white, aged 64, height around 5ft 10” with short greyish hair, wearing jeans and possibly with glasses. He comes from the Clacton area.

A spokesman for Essex Police said officers were still looking for the suspected gunman today and advised residents to be cautious.

He added: “If you see him, call us straight away.”

A group of 20 neighbours were led away from nearby houses by forensic officers and gave their details before leaving the scene.

Essex Police said the force had received “many phone calls” from members of the public and officers were confident of catching the gunman.

Teams of armed officers were spreading out across the town and a police helicopter has been deployed.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said they were alerted to the shooting at 3.37pm.

Redbridge Road has been closed in both directions between the Farmleigh Avenue junction and the Forest Park Avenue junction.

nyone who knows where he is or has information about him or where he might be, who or where he might go, to is asked to contact police immediately on 999.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter