Update: Road closed while work takes place to stop gas leak in Reydon
- Credit: Archant
Police have closed a road while work is carried out to stop a gas leak which has been going on for hours.
Officers got the call to Wangford Road, Reydon, near Southwold, at 4.10pm.
Initially officers were deciding if the incident was serious enough to close the road and evacuate homes.
But a force spokesman has now advised that National Grid has said the gas should not pose any danger to anyone in the area.
He said the leak was “not affecting” any nearby properties and there was no need to evacuate.
You may also want to watch:
But he added the situation would be “continuously assessed” with the road closed until the leak is stopped.
Personnel from National Grid are working at the scene.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 9 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 10 Hospital waives car parking charges for 'those who need it most'
The spokesman added that no homes had lost their gas supply.
Engineers are expected to be at the scene until at least 6am tomorrow.