Update: Six houses damaged by serious fire in The Drive, Reydon
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Investigations are under way after a blaze damaged six houses in Reydon, near Southwold.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called to the blaze in The Drive, at 12.13pm today (Saturday).
The brigade started receiving a number of calls to the location originally reporting a bin fire, which had then spread to a garage.
A spokesman for the fire service said: “The fire spread through hedges, assisted by the wind, and this affected the outside of the six properties.”
Damping down was continuing at the scene after crews quickly brought the fire under control, using a number of jets and hose reels to tackle the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
“The ambulance service were also in attendance and they have provided oxygen, as a precaution, to some residents who inhaled smoke while trying to tackle the fire.”
At the height of the blaze, two crews from Lowestoft South and further crews from Wrentham, Southwold, North Lowestoft, Leiston and the command support vehicle and support pump from Beccles fought the flames.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
The fire quickly spread through Leylandii at one of the houses, and Area Commander Ian Bowell said: “In total we had about 30 fire fighters here. When we arrived the first crews found quite a large fire spreading in Leylandii, spreading in three different directions.
“That type of Leylandii burns very fast and very fierce.”