Update: Six houses damaged by serious fire in The Drive, Reydon
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Investigations are under way after a blaze damaged six houses in Reydon, near Southwold.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called to the blaze in The Drive, at 12.13pm today (Saturday).
The brigade started receiving a number of calls to the location originally reporting a bin fire, which had then spread to a garage.
A spokesman for the fire service said: “The fire spread through hedges, assisted by the wind, and this affected the outside of the six properties.”
Damping down was continuing at the scene after crews quickly brought the fire under control, using a number of jets and hose reels to tackle the blaze.
“The ambulance service were also in attendance and they have provided oxygen, as a precaution, to some residents who inhaled smoke while trying to tackle the fire.”
At the height of the blaze, two crews from Lowestoft South and further crews from Wrentham, Southwold, North Lowestoft, Leiston and the command support vehicle and support pump from Beccles fought the flames.
- 1 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 2 Norwood holds talks with one of Town's fellow League One rivals
- 3 Investigations continuing after man suffers serious injuries in crash
- 4 See inside stunning £1.85M home with 'fabulous' outside pool and paddocks
- 5 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 6 Gameday: 'Great to be back!' Blue Army at Needham give their thoughts
- 7 Missing 17-year-old boy found safe
- 8 Hunt continues for group of youths who pushed man to ground and stole bike
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
The fire quickly spread through Leylandii at one of the houses, and Area Commander Ian Bowell said: “In total we had about 30 fire fighters here. When we arrived the first crews found quite a large fire spreading in Leylandii, spreading in three different directions.
“That type of Leylandii burns very fast and very fierce.”