Update: Two men taken to hospital after car goes into River Stour at Manningtree
- Credit: Archant
Two men were taken to hospital after a car left the road and entered the River Stour at Manningtree last night.
Police report they were alerted at around 11.20pm about the incident, which took place in an area called The Walls towards Mistley.
Members of the fire, ambulance and coastguard services also attended the scene and rescued one man who was more badly injured than the other. Police report he had to be assisted from the vehicle as the tide was coming in quickly. His injuries have been described as serious but not life-threatening.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service reported that the car was in 20 feet of water when their team arrived.
Both men were taken to Colchester General Hospital last night but today one man in his 30s from the Manningtree area was transferred to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge for specialist care. The other man remains in Colchester.
You may also want to watch:
The car, a silver Volkswagen Golf GTi, was later retrieved when the tide had gone out.
Essex Police say they are continuing to investigate the circumstances around the incident.
- 1 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 6 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 7 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 8 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 9 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 10 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash