Update: Woman rescued from flat fire in Bury St Edmunds dies

West-Suffolk-Hospital

- Credit: PA

A woman, aged 55, has passed away in hospital following a fire at her flat in Langton Place last night.

A police spokesman said the woman was saved by firefighters and taken to West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds after suffering a heart attack due to inhaling smoke.

Three fire crews were called to the scene at 8.45pm, a Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said.

“The alarm was raised at 8.45pm when the automatic fire alarm of the business went off,” the spokesman added.

The woman was also treated by a doctor from the Suffolk Accident Rescue Service (SARS).


You may also want to watch:


A SARS spokesman added: “A woman in her 50s was rushed to hospital in a critical condition after a fire broke out in a second floor flat off Hatter Street in Bury St Edmunds last night at around 8.45 pm.

“A volunteer doctor from the Suffolk Accident Rescue Service charity was called out to assist paramedics with the treatment of the woman who had suffered a cardiac arrest due to inhalation of smoke from the fire.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus