Updated: Five-mile stretch closed after man dies in A12 crash near Capel St Mary
A FIVE-mile stretch of the A12 was closed this evening after a man died in a crash near Capel St Mary.
Police said a silver BMW left the southbound carriageway and ploughed into a tree.
The man, believed to be in his 40s and from Essex, was found dead at the scene.
The vehicle, which was found on its roof, left the A12 shortly after the BP garage.
A tractor driver raised the alarm with police around 4pm, reporting a car on its roof in a field.
You may also want to watch:
The A12 was closed while police crash investigators tried and piece together exactly what happened.
A five-mile stretch of the southbound carriageway, between J31 for East Bergholt and J33 the Copdock interchange, was shut off to traffic.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 6 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
Paramedics were scrambled to the scene but were stood down once the man was pronounced dead.
Any witnesses to the incident are asked to call police on 101.