Updated: Five-mile stretch closed after man dies in A12 crash near Capel St Mary
A FIVE-mile stretch of the A12 was closed this evening after a man died in a crash near Capel St Mary.
Police said a silver BMW left the southbound carriageway and ploughed into a tree.
The man, believed to be in his 40s and from Essex, was found dead at the scene.
The vehicle, which was found on its roof, left the A12 shortly after the BP garage.
A tractor driver raised the alarm with police around 4pm, reporting a car on its roof in a field.
The A12 was closed while police crash investigators tried and piece together exactly what happened.
A five-mile stretch of the southbound carriageway, between J31 for East Bergholt and J33 the Copdock interchange, was shut off to traffic.
- 1 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 3 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 4 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 5 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory over MK Dons
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following MK Dons victory
- 9 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 10 'Absolutely awful': Anger as rubbish left dumped near beauty spot
Paramedics were scrambled to the scene but were stood down once the man was pronounced dead.
Any witnesses to the incident are asked to call police on 101.