Updated: Video: Man arrested after Clacton murder is in hospital under police guard
- Credit: Su Anderson
A murder investigation is underway after a man was stabbed to death and two were injured during an altercation in Clacton, just before 11.45pm last night.
Essex Police officers arrested a 21-year-old man from Clacton in the town at 11.40am today on suspicion of murder.
He has been taken to hospital, where he remains under police guard, and the force confirmed the suspect had received injuries.
Station Road is closed from its junction with Rosemary Road through to Pier Avenue and Rosemary Road is closed from Station Road to Orwell Road.
Police have advised the are will be cordoned off for some time while investigations continue, though it will reduce the size of the cordon as soon as possible.
Business owners and employees are advised that many premises will not be able to be opened today.
The victim was a man in his 50s, and he died at the scene despite efforts by paramedics to save him.
- 1 McKenna on Hladky and Bakinson futures
- 2 Controversial statue on Stowmarket roundabout gets green light
- 3 5 of the prettiest villages in Suffolk
- 4 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 5 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 6 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 7 'Let's turn this into a fortress' - Town season ticket sales hit 16k
- 8 Mike Bacon: A perfect start to hopefully a perfect season
- 9 Plans for second village school scrapped in favour of bigger site
- 10 Woman in her 70s dies after serious crash in Hadleigh
Two other men were injured in the altercation, which began in a property in High Street.
One, in his 20s, is in hospital with serious, but not life-threatening, stab wounds to his torso, arms and legs while the other only required minor treatment by paramedics at the scene.
Superintendent Steve Ditchburn said: “I know the news about this incident will have caused some distress to local residents.
“Unfortunately due to the large number of scenes and the extensive cordon, day-to-day business in Clacton town centre has been severely disrupted. This is necessary to ensure as much early evidence is gathered as possible. We are working as quickly as we can to keep disruption to a minimum.
“I would like to appeal to anyone who has information about the murder, saw any men in and around the Rosemary Road and Station Road areas of the town at around 11.30pm last night, or who has any information which may assist detectives, to contact us as soon as possible.”
The mobile police station is currently in Station Road so residents can speak to officers if they have any information or concerns.
Any witnesses or anyone who has information should contact detectives in Clacton on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.