Updated: Video: Man arrested after Clacton murder is in hospital under police guard
- Credit: Su Anderson
A murder investigation is underway after a man was stabbed to death and two were injured during an altercation in Clacton, just before 11.45pm last night.
Essex Police officers arrested a 21-year-old man from Clacton in the town at 11.40am today on suspicion of murder.
He has been taken to hospital, where he remains under police guard, and the force confirmed the suspect had received injuries.
Station Road is closed from its junction with Rosemary Road through to Pier Avenue and Rosemary Road is closed from Station Road to Orwell Road.
Police have advised the are will be cordoned off for some time while investigations continue, though it will reduce the size of the cordon as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
Business owners and employees are advised that many premises will not be able to be opened today.
The victim was a man in his 50s, and he died at the scene despite efforts by paramedics to save him.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 5 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 6 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 7 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 8 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 9 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 10 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
Two other men were injured in the altercation, which began in a property in High Street.
One, in his 20s, is in hospital with serious, but not life-threatening, stab wounds to his torso, arms and legs while the other only required minor treatment by paramedics at the scene.
Superintendent Steve Ditchburn said: “I know the news about this incident will have caused some distress to local residents.
“Unfortunately due to the large number of scenes and the extensive cordon, day-to-day business in Clacton town centre has been severely disrupted. This is necessary to ensure as much early evidence is gathered as possible. We are working as quickly as we can to keep disruption to a minimum.
“I would like to appeal to anyone who has information about the murder, saw any men in and around the Rosemary Road and Station Road areas of the town at around 11.30pm last night, or who has any information which may assist detectives, to contact us as soon as possible.”
The mobile police station is currently in Station Road so residents can speak to officers if they have any information or concerns.
Any witnesses or anyone who has information should contact detectives in Clacton on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.