Video: Bus users have their say on opening of upgraded Tower Ramparts station in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Engineers have won their race against the clock to reopen Ipswich’s Tower Ramparts bus station and Museum Street in time for the start of the town’s Christmas shopping season.
They spent yesterday putting the final touches to the bus station – painting lines and removing barriers. And Museum Street reopened to traffic yesterday morning.
Clearing the town centre of Travel Ipswich work for the Christmas season was a major requirement of the county council.
Graham Newman, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for transport, said: “I’m very happy we’ve succeeded in opening the newly refurbished Tower Ramparts bus station in time for the Christmas shopping period.
“The station provides those visiting Ipswich via bus a new and improved central travel hub with quick access to the shops, pubs, bars and restaurants, perfect for enjoying the festive season.”
Meanwhile campaigners are continuing the battle to get new toilets provided at the town’s other bus station, at the Old Cattle Market.
A petition begun by the Ipswich Labour Party has now attracted 1,000 signatures – and has helped to prompt a county council re-think on the decision not to provide toilets.
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
- 3 Suffolk second home owners could face Airbnb ban under crackdown
- 4 Needham Market 0 Ipswich Town 7: Chaplin nets hat-trick
- 5 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 6 McKenna: Pre-season results are not important
- 7 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 8 Town haven't taken option to sign Bakinson
- 9 Where you can see the Battle of Britain memorial flypast today
- 10 Things we might learn from Ipswich Town's pre-season games
The county is currently reviewing the decision and looking at whether it would be possible to provide public toilets at the bus station.
A decision is expected to be taken early next year. In the meantime litter bins are due to be installed at both bus stations over the next week.
The Travel Ipswich works have been suspended in time for the start of the town’s Christmas shopping season this weekend.
The festive lights are due to be switched on at the end of shopping at 5pm tomorrow. For full details see page 21.