Video: Bus users have their say on opening of upgraded Tower Ramparts station in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Engineers have won their race against the clock to reopen Ipswich’s Tower Ramparts bus station and Museum Street in time for the start of the town’s Christmas shopping season.
They spent yesterday putting the final touches to the bus station – painting lines and removing barriers. And Museum Street reopened to traffic yesterday morning.
Clearing the town centre of Travel Ipswich work for the Christmas season was a major requirement of the county council.
Graham Newman, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for transport, said: “I’m very happy we’ve succeeded in opening the newly refurbished Tower Ramparts bus station in time for the Christmas shopping period.
“The station provides those visiting Ipswich via bus a new and improved central travel hub with quick access to the shops, pubs, bars and restaurants, perfect for enjoying the festive season.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile campaigners are continuing the battle to get new toilets provided at the town’s other bus station, at the Old Cattle Market.
A petition begun by the Ipswich Labour Party has now attracted 1,000 signatures – and has helped to prompt a county council re-think on the decision not to provide toilets.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
The county is currently reviewing the decision and looking at whether it would be possible to provide public toilets at the bus station.
A decision is expected to be taken early next year. In the meantime litter bins are due to be installed at both bus stations over the next week.
The Travel Ipswich works have been suspended in time for the start of the town’s Christmas shopping season this weekend.
The festive lights are due to be switched on at the end of shopping at 5pm tomorrow. For full details see page 21.