Video: Cameras capture man wanted in connection with Chelmsford sexual assault
CCTV footage has captured a man wanted in connection with a sexual assault in a park.
Essex police has released the video clip after a woman who was walking along a footpath beside the river in Central Park, Chelmsford, was attacked on February 27 at 5.30am.
CCTV cameras recorded the man following the woman from a distance of about 40 metres before breaking into a run to catch her up.
He grabbed her in a bear-hug from behind but said nothing too her. The woman managed to turn while still in the man’s grip and shouted at him.
He ran off, leaving the woman badly shaken but unharmed.
Investigating officer Pc Basaras said: “The man seems to have been lurking in the area of the river. He then noticed the woman walking along the path and caught up with her near the play park.
“This incident is not believed to be connected with other enquiries into sexual assaults in the centre Chelmsford area but clearly we want to hear from anyone with information about this man.”
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 3 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 4 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 5 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 6 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 7 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 8 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 9 Revealed: Where house prices are rising fastest in Suffolk
- 10 ‘I think we sell one of the best Sunday roasts in Suffolk,’ says landlord
The man is about 5ft 8ins tall and was wearing a long-sleeved top, dark brown body warmer, dark trousers and dark chunky footwear.
Anyone with information should call Pc Basaras at Loughton police station on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.