Video/Gallery: Fire at The Townhouse Restaurant causes ‘substantial damage’ - no injuries as eight fire crews tackle blaze
- Credit: Lucy Taylor.
A blaze has “substantially damaged” a town centre restaurant in Ipswich today.
Eight fire engines rushed to the scene of the blaze at The Townhouse Restaurant in Orwell Place at 9.45am following reports of a kitchen fire.
It is thought two chefs raised the alarm after the kitchen filled with smoke. No injuries were reported at the scene.
Dave Pedersen, group commander at Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said the blaze had “substantially damaged” the venue.
He added an investigation will be launched today after the fire was brought under control by 11.15am.
You may also want to watch:
He said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident, adding police are not likely to be involved in the investigation.
Police officers at the scene have set up cordons, diverting traffic from Tacket Street in to Foundation Street while the entrance from Upper Orwell Street to Orwell Place was also blocked off to allow firefighters to carry out an investigation.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 5 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 6 Woman's body found in village home
- 7 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 8 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 9 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 10 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
Eye-witness Glenn Makin, 32, said firefighters brought the fire under control within 20 minutes of arriving on scene.
“It is not nice to see any building go up in flames,” he said.
“But the firefighters got here pretty quick and put the fire out within about 20 minutes. They have done very well and deserve some praise. Let’s hope the restaurant gets back up and running as soon as possible.”