Video in British Sign Language designed to introduce deaf people to Essex Police services
- Credit: citizenside.com
A video designed to introduce deaf people to Essex Police services has been developed in British Sign Language.
The two-minute video features Dc Maria Pallett signing information about how to contact the police in both emergency and non-emergency situations via text and minicom services.
It has been put together by the force’s in house TV Unit as part of a wider initiative to improve access to Essex Police services.
Dc Pallett, a domestic abuse safeguarding officer based at Essex Police Headquarters in Chelmsford, began learning British Sign Language as a hobby five years ago. She has now reached level three and works closely with residents with hearing loss.
She said: “I have a number of friends living with hearing loss so was really pleased to appear in the video.
You may also want to watch:
“I hope it will reach members of the community who are either deaf or hard of hearing and highlight the services available to them when they need to contact the police.”
Zoe Hack, Head of Diversity and HR Strategy, said: “Essex Police is committed to serving the whole community and ensuring access to information for everybody is an important part of that drive.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 8 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
The video and information about how to contact the police can be found on the Essex Police website at www.essex.police.uk/contactus
It can also be found on the Essex Police YouTube channel www.youtube.com/essexpoliceukand has been published on social media channels Facebook www.facebook.com/essexpoliceukand Twitter @essexpoliceuk