Video: Ipswich Mayor gets on the bike to promote town
- Credit: Archant
Mayor Mary Blake could not resist showing how it’s done when the town launched its role in one of the nation’s great cycling events.
The Pearl Izumi Tour Series arrives in Ipswich on June 14 with an afternoon and evening of road racing around the heart of the town.
To attract public attention a rollerdrome with four static cycles was put up on the Cornhill – and Ms Blake was keen to show how it is done.
She joined cyclist Jamie Caldwell, Suffolk County Council official Adam Baker and Emma Hibbert from event sponsors Adnams on the cycle “RollerDrome” on the Cornhill.
Ms Blake said: “It is wonderful that this event is coming to Ipswich. We’ve had the Tour of Britain here for the last two years and people have really taken to cycling.
“More and more people are cycling these days and I’m sure they’ll come out to see these races – especially if the weather is like this!”
Ms Hibbert said Adnams had seen a significant increase in the number of cyclists.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 6 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 7 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 8 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
- 9 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 10 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
“It’s an activity that fits in very well with our customers – we know people like to go out for a ride and then come along to our pubs for some refreshment,” she said.
On June 14, 10 of the UK’s top teams – each made up of five leading riders – will go head-to-head in Ipswich in a team time trial event and a fast-paced circuit race for the right to be crowned champions of The Pearl Izumi Tour Series.
Each five-rider team will complete two flying timed laps mid-afternoon, before an hour of racing from 7.30pm.
Riders expected to be taking part include:
Ed Clancy (Rapha Condor JLT) – double Olympic Champion
Andy Tennant (Madison Genesis) – World Track Champion
Magnus Backstedt (MG Maxifuel) – Tour de France stage winner and Paris Roubaix winner
Ross Edgar (Team IG Sigma Sport) – Olympic silver medallist and Commonwealth Champion
James McCallum (Rapha Condor JLT) – Commonwealth Games medallist
Steven Burke (Node4 Giordana Racing) – Olympic Champion
Kristian House (Rapha Condor JLT) – Skoda King of the Mountains in last year’s Tour of Britain
Peter Williams (Team IG Sigma Sport) – Yodel Sprints winner in last year’s Tour of Britain
Are you looking forward to the Tour’s arrival? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org