WATCH: CCTV footage shows moments lorry ploughs through level crossing safety barriers
- Credit: Archant
CCTV cameras have caught the dramatic moment a lorry ploughed through security barriers at a level crossing in Manningtree while jumping warning lights.
The A137 is currently closed following the incident which took place shortly before 3pm today.
A video released by National Rail shows the lorry driving across the level crossing before the barriers begin to come down, at which point the driver accelerates, dragging them off their hinges.
Repairs are currently taking place to make the level crossing safe for trains and road vehicles to use.
This is expected to take two hours but Network Rail’s engineers are working as quickly as possible.
You may also want to watch:
An update from National Rail said that progress on the repairs is going well.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area and follow diversions.
- 1 Group fined for travelling more than 10 miles to get a takeaway in lockdown
- 2 Tributes are paid to 'inspirational' teacher Gaynor Jacobs
- 3 'It's up to Marcus what he does' - Lambert reacts to Sunderland defeat
- 4 Senior Suffolk doctor admits to problems in local vaccine rollout
- 5 Suffolk gets its first ever Michelin Star
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 1-0 home loss to Sunderland
- 7 Large drop in coronavirus cases in Ipswich as county cases continue to fall
- 8 Development of 136 homes approved for rural village
- 9 Noise disruption possible as low-flying RAF jets simulate training
- 10 First phase of new 2,000 home site approved
Rail passengers should check how their journey might be affected.
A Network Rail spokesperson said: “We have engineers on site carrying out repairs as quickly as they can.
“I apologise to those affected and understand how frustrating this disruption is, especially as we approach home time on a Friday.
“It is vital that we make the level crossing safe for everyone before re-opening the road.”