WATCH: CCTV footage shows moments lorry ploughs through level crossing safety barriers
- Credit: Archant
CCTV cameras have caught the dramatic moment a lorry ploughed through security barriers at a level crossing in Manningtree while jumping warning lights.
The A137 is currently closed following the incident which took place shortly before 3pm today.
A video released by National Rail shows the lorry driving across the level crossing before the barriers begin to come down, at which point the driver accelerates, dragging them off their hinges.
Repairs are currently taking place to make the level crossing safe for trains and road vehicles to use.
This is expected to take two hours but Network Rail’s engineers are working as quickly as possible.
You may also want to watch:
An update from National Rail said that progress on the repairs is going well.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area and follow diversions.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 3 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 6 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 9 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
Rail passengers should check how their journey might be affected.
A Network Rail spokesperson said: “We have engineers on site carrying out repairs as quickly as they can.
“I apologise to those affected and understand how frustrating this disruption is, especially as we approach home time on a Friday.
“It is vital that we make the level crossing safe for everyone before re-opening the road.”