Video: Peter Reeve, wanted over shooting of Essex Pc Ian Dibell, found dead at Writtle churchyard
DETECTIVES have confirmed the body of wanted gunman Peter Reeve has been found at an Essex churchyard.
A manhunt was launched after Pc Ian Dibell was shot dead in Clacton yesterday afternoon.
Police said Reeve was found with wounds to his head and pronounced dead at All Saints Church, Writtle near Chelmsford.
He was found with a weapon - understood to be a handgun - and no shots were fired by police.
Paying tribute to Pc Dibell, his family said: “The family are devastated by the news. We are immensely proud of Ian and the courage he showed.
“We take some comfort from his bravery.
“Policing was in his blood and Ian selflessly went to the aid of people in desperate need without fear or thought for his own safety. It was who he was, a hero.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 5 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 6 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 7 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 8 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 10 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
“He has paid for the act in the most devastating way. He will be deeply missed and no words can describe the loss.
“He was very much loved by his family.
“We would like to thank Essex Police, friends and colleagues within the policing family and the public for their kind words and support.
“Finally the family now asks that the media leave us in piece to grieve for Ian.”