Video: Publican fled to safety after blaze engulfed barn at The Three Mariners pub in Trimley St Mary
- Credit: Archant
A pub landlord and his family fled to safety in the early hours of today after a blaze threatened to engulf their home
Viewer discretion advised when watching the video as there is a small amount of bad language in the background.
The fire, at the rear of The Three Mariners, Trimley St Mary, near Felixstowe, started with an explosion in historic barn outbuildings and spread to a car parked alongside the pub.
Locals raised the alarm and one nearby resident tried to save pets believed to have been housed in the buildings but was beaten back by the flames.
Two Suffolk fire crews from Felixstowe attended the grade 2 listed pub and put out the flames although the building was destroyed.
Landlord and landlady Dave and Debbie Atkinson were woken by a loud bang as the fire took hold and fled with their children.
The extent of damage to the pub is not yet known. The cause of the explosion is being investigated and it is understood it may have been sparked from a canister.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 3 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 4 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 7 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 8 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 9 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 10 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof