Video: Thieves caught on camera during attempted generator theft
- Credit: Archant
Police have released CCTV video of two would-be thieves who were foiled when trying to steal a £4,000 generator.
The two suspects were caught on security cameras attempting to steal the generator from Brandon Tool Hire in Writtle Road, Chelmsford. The incident happened at around 12.30pm on Tuesday.
Two men turned up in a white Ford Transit van and pulled up in an alley near the firm’s yard.
They tried to drag the generator, which was being stored on a trolley, towards their van, but a witness working nearby caught the men in the act and raised the alarm, causing the two men to abandon their loot and flee.
Police carried out enquiries in the area but found no trace of the van.
You may also want to watch:
Investigating officer PC Rob Bentley said: “Two men just walked into the yard and thought they could help themselves to a bulky and heavy generator. Luckily they were spotted by a man working on scaffolding nearby, but they drove away before police could be called.
“We want to warn other firms in the area, particularly tool hire shops, to be vigilant about security in yards that can be accessed by the public.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
“We would also like to hear from anyone who might have seen these men and the van hanging around in the area on Tuesday or from anyone who has any information about them.”
Anyone who can help should contact Pc Bentley at Chelmsford Neighbourhood Crime Team on 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.