Video/update: Man is arrested following armed siege in Oakes Road in Bury St Edmunds
The dramatic scene unfolded after police received a call claiming that a man had been seen driving a car in Cumberland Avenue holding what appeared to be a handgun and it had been fired.
Armed police then surrounded a property in Oakes Road and a section of the road was closed off while officers dealt with the incident.
The call came in at 1.30pm and by 4pm a man had been removed from the property.
Crowds had looked on as armed police pointed guns towards a property. At one point four or five armed police with a shield were seen to head towards a property, returning a while later. There was also a police dog.
The incident follows an alleged robbery in Oakes Road - which residents have said is normally a quiet area - on Tuesday night.
You may also want to watch:
Retired photographer Tom Murray, of Oakes Road, said: “It’s normally a very quiet area. Two things in one week. There was great concern when they shut the street lights off at night there could be problems and some people have had a few trips and falls.”
Jackie Moore, 51, also of Oakes Road, said: “It is worrying. I have only lived up here a little while with mum, but mum has lived up here 40 years.”
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
- 7 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 8 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 9 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 10 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
After the man was removed from the property officers then conducted a search.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Police confirmed a man had been arrested, but the full details were not available at the time.
More to follow.