Video: You will not be arrested - Suffolk police urge anyone who has drugs to hand them over as they fear rogue ecstasy pills could kill even more
- Credit: Su Anderson
Police are offering a temporary drugs amnesty in a bid to get rogue ecstasy tablets off the streets following the death of three Suffolk men.
Officers say they will not prosecute anyone who comes forward to surrender the tablets, as a fourth man recovers in hospital after apparently taking the drug.
The pill, which is being linked to two deaths in the Ipswich area since December 24, is a red triangular tablet with a Superman motif.
Speaking at Landmark House today, Ipswich Policing Commander Superintendent Louisa Pepper said: “Hand it in, we won’t arrest you, there won’t be any prosecutions from it, and that is how potentially serious we view this matter.
“This drug is lethal and dangerous and our real focus is to prevent further deaths.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I can fully understand people’s reluctance in this situation, but we are not looking to arrest or prosecute people - they are really dangerous and we are talking about saving lives.”
Supt Pepper said two of the men who died are from the Lithuanian community and that officers would be appealing to those in that community for information.
The first victim of the drug died in Ipswich and has been named locally as 22-year-old Justas Ropas, who was pronounced dead at a property in Bramford Lane on Christmas Eve.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 3 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 4 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 5 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 6 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 9 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 10 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
In the second incident on New Year’s Day, a 24-year-old man was found dead at a flat in Provan Court and another man was found in a serious condition. He was rushed to Ipswich Hospital where is now recovering.
Police are also linking the death of a 20-year-old man from Rendlesham who died on New Year’s Day to the rogue drugs.
Named locally as John Hocking, he is believed to be a former student at Thomas Mills High School in Framlingham and worked as a labourer.
Officers are also looking at potential links to similar incidents elsewhere in the country, following the death of a 27-year-old man in Telford on New Year’s Day.
All of the deaths in Suffolk have been referred to the Coroner and inquests will open in due course.
Supt Pepper said the police had put out an appeal through their national network of police agencies, customs, and partners to find out where the drugs had originated from and get to the bottom of how they had been manufactured.