Community spirit in wake of ‘shocking’ death crash
- Credit: Archant
A village left in shock after a light aircraft crash landed has rallied to support the emergency services.
Jane Walker, chairman of the parish in Belchamp Walter, near Sudbury, has told how there was “initial shock” at the tragedy, which saw a man in his 50s killed as the plane he was piloting crash landed just before midday on Sunday.
• MORE: Man dies in light aircraft crashEssex County Fire & Rescue Service have told how the plane was alight when they arrived at the crash site, which is about five miles from Ridgewell Airfield, the home of Essex Gliding Club.
Mrs Walker said police arrived and set up a cordon, placing uniformed officers at the entrance points to the field where the crash happened.
Mrs Walker, who saw an air ambulance land at the site, said: “It is really out of the usual and I think it took a lot of people out of the blue.
“Our feelings go out to the poor man who has died and his family. Our condolences are with them.”
You may also want to watch:
She that following the initial shock at the tragedy there had been “good” community spirit as local people tried to help.
The village hall has been used as a staging centre where hot drinks have been available for the emergency workers who attended the scene.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 9 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
The area where the crash happened is largely farmland, with the plane landing on an arable farm owned by Aaron Hogsbjerg, the son of another parish councillor.
There is a well-used private landing strip on a neighbouring farm.