Vintage aircraft set for two-day show
THE skies will be filled with vintage aircraft this weekend when an Essex airfield opens to the public.Last year, the two-day event at Boxted Airfield in Langham, near Colchester, attracted more than 3,000 people, and this year organisers are expecting more.
THE skies will be filled with vintage aircraft this weekend when an Essex airfield opens to the public.
Last year, the two-day event at Boxted Airfield in Langham, near Colchester, attracted more than 3,000 people, and this year organisers are expecting more.
Richard Turner, chairman of the airfield's historical society, which is organising the event, said: “It would be nice if we could get 5,000 people across the weekend. We're hoping that we'll get up to 100 planes to join us.”
The theme for the weekend is “the RAF at Boxted”, and there will be a flying display on both days featuring appearances from a Spitfire and a Harvard, both former RAF planes.
You may also want to watch:
A team of Chipmunk planes, named the Red Sparrows, will be putting on a formation show and there will be a wide range of activities available.
A children's fun day, a licensed bar and catering will all be found on site, and a marquee will host a 1940s big band evening on Saturday night for an extra charge.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
Last month the organisers appealed for former airmen who were based at the Essex site between 1945 and 1946 to join in the celebration, and it seems the appeal had some success.
Five ex-servicemen, including two from America, will be attending the festivities and revisiting the site as special guests.
Information about the weekend activities can be found at www.boxted-airfield.com, or by contacting Mr Turner on 01206 865275.