Grants and training help available as community groups prepare to reopen
- Credit: Community Action Suffolk
Hundreds of clubs, groups, sports centres, wellbeing, health, meet-ups and community buildings will be given a helping hand via the Suffolk Community Restart initiative.
The Collaborative Communities Board has commissioned Community Action Suffolk (CAS) to manage the support project. It is working in partnership with Suffolk County Council, district and borough councils to help groups and organisations reopen from May 17 under the government roadmap.
Chris Abraham, CEO of CAS, said: “Since March 2020 we have all experienced restrictions to varying degrees, and the devastating impact lockdowns have had on some of our most vulnerable communities is yet to be fully realised.
“The Suffolk Community Restart programme is therefore vital in ensuring we can quickly and successfully get those lifeline groups, events and projects back up and running in a safe way, so that they can resume doing their work in supporting mental and physical health, and increasing social connectivity.”
Organisers of clubs, groups, venues and schemes can apply for grants of between £250 and £2,500, which must be used specifically to help get activities up and running in a Covid-safe way – perhaps for purchasing PPE, creating new signage, or introducing new cleaning regimes.
From May 5, leaders of voluntary-sector and community-based projects can also book on to on-demand training courses, being run in partnership with health and safety specialist, Right Directions.
There will also be community restart officers available to provide information, advice and guidance.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 5 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 6 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 7 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 8 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 9 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 10 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win