Ward calls upon his side to be brave at Sunderland
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward has called upon his side to be brave at Premier League side Sunderland in the Carling Cup second round tonight.
The 59-year-old came desperately close to causing a major upset at the 49,000 capacity Stadium of Light at the same stage of the same competition when manager of Cheltenham.
His League Two side held Mick McCarthy’s top-flight hosts to a 0-0 draw in 2005/6 before eventually being defeated by a single extra-time goal.
The U’s boss therefore sees no reason why his in-form League One side should go into tonight’s game with any trepidation.
He said: “We are a team that has now got eight goals in four games, so I will now see if my players are big enough and brave to do that at Sunderland.
You may also want to watch:
“I will certainly be encouraging them to do that – what else do you expect me to say? I’m not one of those managers that just wants to go and have a day out.
“It’s Premier League v League One and they’re at home, but I’m fine with that.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 5 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 6 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 7 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 8 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 9 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 10 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
“I went up there as manager with Cheltenham and we took them to extra-time before losing 1-0. Our chairman at the time still says his most cherished possession is that photograph of the scoreboard at full-time, so that shows this is a big moment for us that should not be underestimated.”
– For full match preview, see today’s EADT. For live updates from tonight’s game, follow Stuart_Watson at www.twitter.com.