Warning after family flee house blaze
A SENIOR fire officer has issued an urgent safety warning after a north Suffolk family had a lucky escape from a house fire.A family, including a two-year-old boy, were forced to flee their home in Throckmorton Road, Bungay, when it became engulfed in smoke.
A SENIOR fire officer has issued an urgent safety warning after a north Suffolk family had a lucky escape from a house fire.
A family, including a two-year-old boy, were forced to flee their home in Throckmorton Road, Bungay, when it became engulfed in smoke.
The blaze started shortly before 9am yesterday in the kitchen of the home close to Bungay Middle School.
It is believed the fire stated in the kitchen when the youngster was playing with a cooker hob.
You may also want to watch:
The youngster, along with a man and a woman, were taken to the James Paget Hospital at Gorleston, suffering from smoke inhalation.
Their injuries are not believed to be serious.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 3 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 4 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 7 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 8 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 9 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 10 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
However, fire officers who attended the scene said the family had had a lucky escape and warned parents not to let their children play with kitchen appliances.
Fire crews from Bungay, Beccles, Halesworth and Loddon managed to confine the fire to the ground floor of the property although there was smoke damage to the bedrooms n the first floor of the house.
Assistant Divisional Officer Nigel Richens, of Normanshurst fire station in Lowestoft, said there were two smoke alarms in the house but neither was working at the time of the fire.
"We believe the fire began in the kitchen after the toddler began playing with switches on a cooker hob," he said.
"We were able to contain the fire I the kitchen, but smoke spread rapidly through the rest of the house," said Mr Richens.
It was only after the fire was brought under control that fire crews realised just how lucky the family had been.
"The family were able to get out of the house themselves. But we discovered afterwards that doors had been left open and that two smoke detectors in the property were not working," said Mr Richens.
"We want to get across the message that it is vitally important to fit smoke alarms and test them regularly.
"Children should not be allowed to play with appliances like cookers and doors should be kept closed to prevent fires from spreading," he said.