Warning after woman dies in fire
SAFETY bosses have stressed the importance of fitting homes with fire alarms after a pensioner died following a blaze at her bungalow.The property - sheltered accommodation in Angel Street, Hadleigh - did have a working smoke detector but the fire was already well advanced by the time crews arrived.
SAFETY bosses have stressed the importance of fitting homes with fire alarms after a pensioner died following a blaze at her bungalow.
The property - sheltered accommodation in Angel Street, Hadleigh - did have a working smoke detector but the fire was already well advanced by the time crews arrived.
The elderly lady, thought to be in her 70s and known only as Jean to people in the area, suffered 40-45% burns in the fire, which broke out shortly after 10pm on Tuesday.
Her injuries were described as “significant” and she died on Wednesday morning after being transferred from Ipswich Hospital to the specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday Joanna Spicer, Suffolk County Council's portfolio holder for public protection, said the tragic incident was a reminder of the need to install a working smoke alarm.
She said: “Any fire accident or death is a tragedy, and even more so near to Christmas. Our thoughts are with her family at this time.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 7 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 10 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
“The news reminds us all of the importance of having a working smoke alarm and equally important a plan to escape in the case of fire.
“I'd also like to urge anyone who hears a smoke alarm sounding to call 999 as it can sometimes be the case that the resident is old, infirm or incapable of getting out of their home quickly.
“Likewise, anyone who thinks they may have problems getting out of their home in the event of a fire should contact Suffolk County Council's fire and rescue service on 01473 588888 to get more information about the Fire and Carers Together scheme (FACT).”
Firefighters from Hadleigh, Nayland and Princes Street in Ipswich attended the blaze, which is believed to have started accidentally in the back room of the bungalow, filling the property with smoke.