Warning over ‘British Gas’ scam calls
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Fraudsters are calling Suffolk householders pretending to be from British Gas in an attempt to gain bank details, trading standards has warned.
Suffolk Trading Standards said it has received reports of scam calls from someone purporting to be from British Gas.
The caller claims the householder needs to have their meter changed and then asks a number of questions to gain personal information and bank details.
A spokesman for trading standards said: "If you receive a similar call, please hang up and do not provide them with any of the information that they are asking for.
"If you would like to get confirmation from your supplier of any changes to your account, seek out their telephone number from an old bill and wait at least five minutes to ensure the line has been cleared from the scam call."
You may also want to watch:
Any scam calls can be reported to trading standards on 0808 223 1133.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 4 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 5 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening