Warning over ‘British Gas’ scam calls
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Fraudsters are calling Suffolk householders pretending to be from British Gas in an attempt to gain bank details, trading standards has warned.
Suffolk Trading Standards said it has received reports of scam calls from someone purporting to be from British Gas.
The caller claims the householder needs to have their meter changed and then asks a number of questions to gain personal information and bank details.
A spokesman for trading standards said: "If you receive a similar call, please hang up and do not provide them with any of the information that they are asking for.
"If you would like to get confirmation from your supplier of any changes to your account, seek out their telephone number from an old bill and wait at least five minutes to ensure the line has been cleared from the scam call."
Any scam calls can be reported to trading standards on 0808 223 1133.
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 5 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job
- 6 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 7 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 8 Body of man found in Saxmundham
- 9 Three suspected cases of Omicron at Bury St Edmunds schools
- 10 'I apologise for the misunderstanding' - Nsiala issues statement