Warning to householders as dishwasher blamed for Chelmsford flat fire
A faulty dishwasher has been determined the cause of a fire that filled an Essex flat with smoke.
The blaze broke out on the fifth floor of Victoria Court, Chelmsford, in the early hours of this morning.
Firefighters from Chelmsford, Great Baddow, Witham and Ingatestone were called to the scene at 12.40am.
They arrived to find the whole flat heavily smoke logged. Wearing oxygen masks and using a pressure fan to clear smoke from the property, crews were able to bring the fire under control.
An investigation has since determined that the fire started in a dishwasher.
You may also want to watch:
An Essex fire service spokesman said: “Incidents like this show how important it is to make sure all your household appliances are in good working order.
“We urge everyone to regularly check their appliances for old or worn flexes and make sure they are clean and well cared for. We also recommend you don’t use your appliances when you are not home or overnight.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 9 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 10 Hospital waives car parking charges for 'those who need it most'