‘We all share the same aim’ – Suffolk police have defended their investigation into Corrie McKeague
PUBLISHED: 17:51 03 November 2016 | UPDATED: 17:51 04 November 2016
Suffolk police have defended their ongoing investigation into the disappearance of RAF Honington airman Corrie McKeague.
The uncle of Corrie McKeague, Tony Wringe, took to Facebook to criticise the ongoing investigation, as 40 days pass with no new evidence.
The 23-year-old RAF Regiment team medic vanished from the centre of Bury St Edmunds after a night out in the town. He was last seen at 3.24am on September 24 on Brentgovel Street.
Mr Wringe, a former serviceman with a background in counter terrorism, said the investigation was “cost constrained” and accuses the police of running an ineffective investigation.
In his post on the Help Find Corrie McKeague Facebook page, which has 50,000 members, he said: “Corrie’s family is perhaps slightly unusual in their collective knowledge and backgrounds in police, intelligence & security.
“As a result, information has been identified or analysis conducted which the police have not had the capacity or capability to undertake, or perhaps have, but chosen not to communicate this with the family.
“As a result, there is a lack of trust towards the media management approach the police have employed to date, including coming out immediately after Corrie disappeared, emphatically claiming there was ‘no third party involvement’, clearly not a statement supported by the evidence then or now.”
He added: “It is our summary that Corrie has disappeared against his will, a 3rd party is involved. There are numerous leads that have not been followed up and evidence that has not been effectively processed.
“The investigation team’s claim that this is an ‘Intelligence Lead operation’ has been a euphemism for cost constrained.
“Prior to the Major Investigation Team taking control of this investigation the family felt incredibly safe that everything was being done it was being treated “as a homicide, without evidence or body” as police were already “99.9% certain Corrie had not left on foot, and had been unable to return of his own accord”. This is a Major Investigation Team in name not function.”
Anne-Marie Breach, spokeswoman for Suffolk police, said: “We all share the same aim – to find Corrie. Since the missing person report was received officers have been conducting extensive enquiries to try and locate him.
“Despite this work, media appeals and support from a variety of other groups and agencies who have been searching and assisting with the investigation there are still no positive sightings of him after 3.25am on Saturday 24 September in Brentgovel Street in Bury St Edmunds.
“Work to find him continues. To date a huge area has been searched, hundreds of hours of CCTV have been viewed and dozens of people have been traced and spoken to.
“Enquiries are being made to identify all of those who were out in the town in the early hours of Saturday 24 in a bid to find out what has happened and officers continue to ask anyone who was there to come forward.
“A large amount of work has been carried out behind the scenes however, at this stage, there is still not a clear line of enquiry as to what may have happened to him and officers continue to look at – and investigate - all possibilities.
“We are aware that we can’t provide the answers that Corrie’s family need, but police are continuing work to find Corrie.
“We would like to thank all those who have assisted with this to date and continue to urge anyone with information that may help to call the incident room on 01473 782019 or Crimestoppers, anonymously if required, on 0800 555 111.”