Weather: Drivers heed police advice, travel latest
DRIVERS seem to be taking note of police advice to travel carefully as there have only been a handful of minor accidents so far today.
With temperatures dropping overnight, the settled snow from yesterday has now created a sheet of ice, causing treacherous conditions on the roads.
However a Suffolk Police spokeswoman said there have been no major accidents, and just 11 minor weather-related collisions since 7am today.
The spokeswoman said the accidents involved shunts and skidding, but thankfully there have been no injuries or hold-ups as a result of them.
The main carriageways are gritted but the advice is to take extra care around the side roads which are still quite icy.
You may also want to watch:
Snow and adverse weather conditions are causing some delays and alterations to National Express East Anglia (NXEA) train services.
However all lines on the NXEA network in the region are open and train services are operating to the advertised timetable wherever possible, a spokesman for the company said.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 6 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
NXEA is planning to operate a scheduled timetable evening-peak service this evening.
Passengers are advised that shuttle train services may operate between Southminster and Wickford, Witham and Braintree and Manningtree and Harwich Town in place of the normal scheduled timetable.
Passengers are also advised to allow extra time to make their journeys. Further information is available from www.nationalrail.co.uk and www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com or by calling 0845 3017641