Weather/Gallery: It’s Felix-snow! But youngsters miss out on day off school
- Credit: Archant
THOUSANDS of children in the Felixstowe area missed out on a snow day today – waking to a white world but their schools were open for lessons as normal.
Youngsters had sledges primed and ready to go after up to two inches of snow fell on the resort yesterday in an afternoon of blizzard conditions.
But only one school in the town – Kingsfleet Primary in Ferry Road, Old Felixstowe – closed its doors, along with the Oaks and Sea Breeze children’s centres.
Felixstowe Academy’s Maidstone and Garrison campuses, where exams were also taking place today, opened at 10.10am, while Causton Junior, Maidstone Infant, and Grange Primary opened at 10am.
Langer Primary Academy, Fairfield Infant, Colneis Junior, and both Trimley St Martin and Trimley St Mary primary schools opened on time.
You may also want to watch:
Main roads in the town – including Hamilton Road, and High Road, East and West – has been gritted and were clear for traffic, but untreated sideroads were treacherous, snowy with icy patches.
Pavements were also hazardous but in the town centre traders were clearing paths outside their shops to help customers.
- 1 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 5 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 6 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 7 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 8 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 9 Teacher denies sexually assaulting two girls
- 10 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich