Lunchtime update: Will it snow again tonight in Suffolk and Essex?
- Credit: Archant
Snow showers have been continuing to sweep across Suffolk and north Essex this morning, as further snow showers are forecast for later on tonight.
Temperatures plummeted to -7.1C in Wattisham overnight, with the mercury dipping to -9C in Santon Downham, according to Weatherquest’s Dan Holley.
It left much of the region waking up to several centimetres of snow and icy conditions on the roads, causing tailbacks during rush hour on some of the busiest roads.
Forecasters have warned that more of the same can be expected this evening.
Temperatures are only set to reach a high of 0C, with many areas likely to hit temperatures as cold as last night.
You may also want to watch:
Weatherquest confirmed it was the coldest in two years, and may even be the coldest since January 2013.
Dr Richard Jones, Weatherquest forecaster said: “It’s been the coldest night of winter and it could be the coldest again tonight.
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 6 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
“Overnight tonight [there will be] some more heavy snow showers and another couple of centimetres of snow.”
Cold temperatures so late in the season are unusual.
Dr Jones added: “Essentially there was around 10 miles into the atmosphere a rapid warming event and it disrupts the flow of westerly winds.”
He said it causes high pressure, and has caused very cold easterly winds to hit the region.
He added: “We are talking about winds from Siberia where it feels very cold – this is the first time we have had really cold easterly winds.”