Week of celebration for independent businesses in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
Independent shops in Bury St Edmunds will be celebrated next week as an annual campaign returns to the town.
Our Bury St Edmunds Independents Week runs from Monday, July 2, to Sunday, July 8, and activities are planned to tie in with Independents Day – and the American Independence Day – on July 4.
Mike Kirkham, the Business Improvement District’s marketing and business support officer, who is coordinating the week, said: “With nearly 300 independent businesses in the town centre we have a lot to look forward to next week.
“On Wednesday, there will be a town crier visiting some of our businesses and the mayor will also be calling in on several of them.”
For hairdressing salon Gavin Ashley on Churchgate Street, Independents Day will be a double celebration as 2018 marks 40-years to the day since the business opened.
You may also want to watch:
Gavin Downes, owner, said: “I was born and bred in Suffolk and in the 40-years I’ve been running the business I’ve always been keen to give something back too.
“Whether that’s supporting initiatives such as Bury in Bloom, judging college hairdressing competitions or raising money for a local cause it’s all part of feeling really involved with the town that has given me this long and successful career.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 9 Returning fans, new faces and a visit from Premier League royalty - Town face Crystal Palace as pre-season moves up a gear
- 10 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
This is the eighth year of the celebration and the campaign can be supported on social media by using the hashtags #BuyBury, #ShopIndependent and #ShopLocal.
Mr Kirkham added: “We’ve recently had the results of our annual town centre ‘healthcheck’ survey back and it’s clear that people who live, work and shop here believe that a good range of independent businesses are vital for Bury.
“People say they are all part of the town’s charm and character. Customers know that they get great service and many would like to see even more independent businesses in our town centre.”