Nine lucky people from West Mersea scoop share of £225,000 Postcode Lottery jackpot
- Credit: Archant
Champagne corks are popping in West Mersea after a group of residents scooped a combined £225,000 jackpot from the People’s Postcode Lottery.
The nine lucky winners, from Suffolk Avenue, are set to receive £25,000 each.
Retiree Patricia Welham, 74, was with husband John when she discovered how much she’d won.
She said: “This is just marvellous and has come at such a great time as we’re planning on building a conservatory so now that’s completely taken care of.
“John is also in the middle of getting a new boat and this means we can get one that is accessible for us both and suits our needs.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m sure our two daughters and three grandchildren will be in for a few treats too.”
Lucky Patricia got another surprise on the day as she also picked up an extra prize - the keys to a brand new BMW.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 6 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 7 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
She said: “This is just the cherry on top of everything – it’s been the best surprise ever.”
Another winner, Susan Parkinson, 68, said: “It’s going to take a while to sink in, that’s for sure.
“We’ve already started organising a celebration with our neighbours, someone’s making some sausage rolls and carrot cake and someone else is organising the champagne so it’s really bringing us all together.”
Anthony Weekes, 78, couldn’t believe his eyes when he pulled his cheque out the golden envelope.
He said: “I never thought it was going to be as good as this.
“This certainly gives me a lot to look forward to now.”
People’s Postcode Lottery ambassador Jeff Brazier said: “It’s been fantastic to see so many people on one street in West Mersea winning.
“It sounds like there’s going to be celebrations aplenty over on Suffolk Avenue and I couldn’t be more thrilled for them.”