Top national education job for Suffolk colleges boss
- Credit: Archant
An education leader at West Suffolk College has been appointed to a top national role by the government.
Elton D'Souza, who is chair of governors at West Suffolk College and Suffolk Academies Trust, has been made a national leader of governance (NLG) by the Department for Education.
NLGs have been established to provide mentoring and support to college governance boards and only those with a strong record of supporting college improvement are selected for the post.
Mr D'Souza and his fellow NLGs, will provide peer-to-peer support to further education and sixth form colleges where governance and leadership needs to improve.
He said: "I am proud and excited to have been appointed an NLG. Proud because it is testament to what has been achieved by both West Suffolk College and Suffolk Academies Trust for students in the community we serve, and excited to be working alongside some of the best leaders in the education sector."
You may also want to watch:
The NLGs will work alongside the National Leaders of Further Education (NLFEs), the Department for Education, Education and Skills Funding Agency and the Further Education (FE) commissioner Richard Atkins.
Mr D'Souza said there would be a benefit for the trust and colleges from his appointment.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 10 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
He said: "Joining the team of NLGs and NLFEs will offer us a unique insight into the highest performing colleges and trusts in the country.
"We can then share best practice that will inform our strategy to develop and grow for the benefit of our community and region."
Mr Atkins said: "My team and I look forward to working alongside these outstanding college leaders, governors and clerks in ensuring that colleges are in a strong and sustainable position to provide an outstanding quality of education."
Nikos Savvas, chief executive of Suffolk Academies Trust and West Suffolk College said: "We are very proud of what is being achieved across the eastern region by Abbeygate Sixth Form College, One Sixth Form College and West Suffolk College. I am not surprised. The hard work of our students and staff in being enabled and underpinned by our exceptionally strong governance.
"Elton's appointment as an NLG further highlights the exceptionally high standards our governors and colleges have. It is yet another feather in the eastern region's cap."