West Suffolk: College students receive certificates for completing Prince’s Trust programme
- Credit: Contributed
Young people who completed a programme with the Prince’s Trust charity have talked about their experiences at a presentation event.
The West Suffolk College students started the scheme in September, with an intense five-day residential course at Lambourne End Outdoor Centre in Essex which included caving, climbing, archery, bush craft and raft building.
The following week was spent fundraising for a community project: renovating the garden at St Peter’s House care home in Out Risbygate, Bury St Edmunds.
Team members also undertook two weeks’ work experience, followed by a ‘next steps’ programme during which they learned interview techniques and how to write a good CV.
Near the end of the course they took part in a team challenge, entertaining clients from drug and alcohol rehabilitation charity Focus12 for three days. Team members held a quiz afternoon, took the clients bowling and cooked them a Christmas lunch.
You may also want to watch:
Team member Millie Mayne, 17, from Bury, said: “This has been a very hard, intensive 12 weeks and it hasn’t always been easy but every minute of it has been worth it.”
The students received certificates and talked to an invited audience of family and friends about their experiences on the programme at a presentation event in at the beginning of December.
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 5 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 6 Town looking into Portman Road safe standing area ahead of new season
- 7 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 8 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 9 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
The following students successfully completed the course: Alex Ager, 19, from Stradishall, Tia Hubbard, 25, from Bury, Emily Green, 18, from Stowmarket, Logan Hales, 16, from Stowmarket, Francis Jones, 18, from Mildenhall, Toby Lloyd, 19, from Mildenhall, Millie Mayne, 17 from Bury, Chris Pearson, 19, from Bury, Matt Turner, 23, from Bury and Jake Welham, 18, from Brandon.
The next Prince’s Trust team programme will start this month, with taster days to be held on January 15 and 16, and an induction the following week.
For more information call 01284 716576.