West Suffolk: College students receive certificates for completing Prince’s Trust programme
- Credit: Contributed
Young people who completed a programme with the Prince’s Trust charity have talked about their experiences at a presentation event.
The West Suffolk College students started the scheme in September, with an intense five-day residential course at Lambourne End Outdoor Centre in Essex which included caving, climbing, archery, bush craft and raft building.
The following week was spent fundraising for a community project: renovating the garden at St Peter’s House care home in Out Risbygate, Bury St Edmunds.
Team members also undertook two weeks’ work experience, followed by a ‘next steps’ programme during which they learned interview techniques and how to write a good CV.
Near the end of the course they took part in a team challenge, entertaining clients from drug and alcohol rehabilitation charity Focus12 for three days. Team members held a quiz afternoon, took the clients bowling and cooked them a Christmas lunch.
Team member Millie Mayne, 17, from Bury, said: “This has been a very hard, intensive 12 weeks and it hasn’t always been easy but every minute of it has been worth it.”
The students received certificates and talked to an invited audience of family and friends about their experiences on the programme at a presentation event in at the beginning of December.
- 1 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 2 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 3 Fire crews spend eight hours tackling north Suffolk field blaze overnight
- 4 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 5 'It's a very exciting time for us' - Suffolk golf club plans submitted
- 6 McKenna delighted to see Town win game of 'aggressive chaos'
- 7 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 8 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 9 5 fantastic village shops to visit in Suffolk
- 10 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
The following students successfully completed the course: Alex Ager, 19, from Stradishall, Tia Hubbard, 25, from Bury, Emily Green, 18, from Stowmarket, Logan Hales, 16, from Stowmarket, Francis Jones, 18, from Mildenhall, Toby Lloyd, 19, from Mildenhall, Millie Mayne, 17 from Bury, Chris Pearson, 19, from Bury, Matt Turner, 23, from Bury and Jake Welham, 18, from Brandon.
The next Prince’s Trust team programme will start this month, with taster days to be held on January 15 and 16, and an induction the following week.
For more information call 01284 716576.