West Suffolk Hospital director Jon’s marathon effort to raise funds for sensors
- Credit: Archant
Additional sensors that alert staff when patients at risk of a fall get up from the toilet are to be installed at West Suffolk Hospital – thanks to the marathon efforts of one of its executive directors.
Jon Green, the hospital’s chief operating officer, took part in the Loch Ness Marathon last month. So far, he has raised nearly £1,000, which will be used to buy four sensors for ward G3, which cares for a large number of elderly and frail patients with a higher risk of falling.
The sensors consist of a cord attached to a box on the wall in the toilet, which is then clipped to the patient’s clothes. If they try to stand without using the call bell to ask for assistance, the cord will pull out of the box and an alarm will go off, alerting a member of staff to go and help.
Sensors have already been installed on G4, G5 and G8 using charitable funds and have had a significant impact on reducing falls, with none recorded when the alarms have been used since they were fitted in September.
Mr Green first took part in the Loch Ness Marathon two years ago, when he completed the 26.2-mile course in 4hr 24min.
You may also want to watch:
He was determined to log a new personal best this time around, and achieved his aim in a time of 4hr 10min following a strict 16-week training regime.
He said: “The course was quite challenging, but had some fantastic scenery to enjoy. There were groups of pipers along the route, and the crowds were great and gave us lots of support. Around half way through I did question why I was doing it but finishing the race and raising so much made it all worthwhile.”
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 3 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 4 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 9 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
To sponsor Jon, visit www.justgiving.com/Jon-GreenWSH