West Suffolk MP Matt Hancock visits Newmarket Cancer Research shop to raise awareness
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk MP is backing an appeal from Cancer Research UK to support the charity’s life saving research.
Matt Hancock, West Suffolk MP and culture minister, met staff and volunteers at the charity’s Newmarket shop last week.
Mr Hancock is calling on the local community to support the charity in any way they can and visited the shop to show how people can get involved and aid researchers.
Last year, Cancer Research UK’s 600 shops raised more than £87 million for research work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
Mr Hancock said: “I’m delighted to support my local Cancer Research UK shop and find out more about the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.
You may also want to watch:
“Research is cancer’s number one enemy and it is people like the dedicated volunteers I met at the shop, who are enabling the charity’s researchers to keep making huge advances in the battle against the disease.
“While more of us will be diagnosed with cancer in future, there is good news. Thanks to the generosity of its supporters, Cancer Research UK’s work is helping to ensure more men, women and children survive the disease.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 5 A12 closed following serious collision
- 6 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 7 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 8 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 9 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 10 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
“So I’m calling on the local community to help Cancer Research UK beat cancer sooner.”
Scott Campbell, Cancer Research UK Newmarket shop manager, said: “Every donation made, every hour volunteered and every person who supports Cancer Research UK takes us closer to beating cancer sooner.
“We hope the people of Newmarket will really get behind us. We’ve got a great choice of clothes and gifts, and of course we’re always looking for people to donate more items.
“It’s great to have the support of Matt Hancock MP raising awareness as there’s still so much more we need to do to ensure no-one’s life is cut short by cancer.
“But by boosting support and funding now, the best research teams will be able to develop better ways to prevent, control and cure the disease and help save many more lives.”