West Suffolk wander
- Credit: Suzy Abbott
Chris Barker follows a route around Great Saxham
To start the walk, leave the car park from where you entered and turn right when you get to the road. When the road you are on swings sharply to the left, turn right off the road by a bridleway sign, walking on a track with trees to your right. Keep to this track, always having trees to your right, until you come to a crossing over a stream in front of you. Do not cross this but turn right, with a bridleway sign to your right, walking on a track, keeping a ditch to your left.
You will then come to a ford, but there is a footbridge to cross the stream if you prefer. Once across, just carry on in the same direction, with a footpath sign to your right. The ditch is now to your right. You will then come to a crossroads of tracks. Just carry on in the same direction, crossing a stream, still walking on a track with a tall hedge to your right.
When you come to a track running parallel in front of you, with a concrete crossing over a ditch to your right, ignore this and carry straight on for 15 yards and you will come to another track running parallel in front of you. Turn left here, with a footpath sign soon on your left, walking on a track with a ditch to your left.
After roughly 150 yards look to your left for a footpath sign. When you come to it, turn right at this point, walking straight across an open field which at the time of walking was clearly defined. Once across the field, having a footpath sign in front of you, turn right, walking on a track with newly-planted trees to your left.
You may also want to watch:
When the track you are walking on takes you out onto a road, turn left. Roughly 60 yards after passing the sign for Barrow, turn right onto a road by a No Entry sign for vehicles. When you come to some housing on both sides, turn right by a footpath sign, walking on a track which will very quickly swing to your left. Within a few paces you will come to a fork in the track. Take the left fork, straight away having a footpath sign to your right, and now walking on a green track.
When the track takes you out onto a road, turn right, following it as it swings to the right and almost immediately to the left. When you come to a footpath sign to your left, turn right on a green path, having trees to your left. This track will eventually take you out onto another road. Turn right at this point and you will eventually come to crossroads. Carry on in the same direction, having Great Saxham’s village sign to your left. Keep to this road for some distance and you will eventually come to the church car park on your right, where you started.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 9 Restaurant launches giant cheesecake and cookie company
- 10 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash